What to do when your co-parent misses child support payments


Co-parenting is rarely easy, although everyone tries their best to ensure that the children still grow up knowing that they have two parents who love them very much. Even though everyone wants to have an amicable and as clutter-free separation or divorce as possible, there are still household chores to take care of. These are important things that need to be decided, and they are in the interest of the child.

Couples should discuss a schedule, who the children will be with and when. This routine and consistency is important for children who are likely going through a tough time and just want to feel safe. Child support is another difficult issue.

Although few people like to talk about financial things and they may find it embarrassing, it is important. It is important that children are supported financially because there are things in life that they need that cost money. Since the children are usually in the custody of the mother, it is usually up to the father to pay child support one way or another.

RELATED: What to do if your co-parent stops paying child support

It can be even more difficult when a co-parent is not paying child support or has missed payments. Maybe they’re not consistent with their payments, and it’s not working for mom trying to plan things out. Mom may be wondering how she should solve this problem, and there are several options.

Talk to your co-parent

This might be the easiest solution, but it can also be the hardest depending on the type of relationship you have with your ex. According to Steps to Justice, communicating and talking with your co-parent should be the first step. If you have a good relationship, or even just a civil one, with your ex, that might be all you need to do. Maybe an unexpected expense happened that caused them to miss a payment.

Although they should have told you about it, they might be embarrassed or worried that you’ll be upset, but talking about it can clear things up.

Edit payments

Part of that conversation may be that payments need to be changed. According to Custody Change, there may have been changes in circumstances and your co-parent is struggling. It can be as simple as changing the terms of child support.

If the reality is that they just don’t have that amount of money each month, they probably won’t be able to pay as much as you want. In these conversations, it’s always wise to keep your kids in mind and what’s best for them.

Talk to a lawyer

According to Divorce Net, if the split wasn’t amicable or was “ugly,” you may need to see a lawyer. Lawyers can be mediators, and they can relieve you of much of that work and weight, especially if there is no way a civil conversation can take place. This is also useful if there has been more than one missed payment.

It may be understandable if a co-parent has a rough month or two, their car breaks down, or they have an unexpected expense, but if it becomes a regular occurrence, you may want to consult a lawyer.

Sources: Steps to Justice, Change of Custody, Divorce Net


Comments are closed.