The impact on the benefits of separation, annulment or divorce


If you are legally separated or about to get an annulment or divorce, you should be aware of the impact on your federal employment benefits, as they apply to both of you.

Even though a court order requires your ex-spouse to be covered by your FEHB registration, federal law requires coverage to end at midnight on the day your annulment or divorce is final. However, he or she may benefit from health insurance coverage under the spousal equity provisions, the Temporary Continuation of Coverage (TCC) provision or by converting to an individual policy with your insurer. FEHB. For more information on these options, visit

If no one else is covered by your membership when the cancellation or divorce is final, you can proceed to yourself only. You can also switch to another plan or option. However, if you have other eligible family members, you can continue to be covered under the self and family option or, if there is only one eligible member, switch to self plus one. You have 60 days after the event to make a change. You can do this by filling out a standard 2809 form and submitting it to your agency’s personnel office (or OPM if you are a retiree). You can download a copy of this form from

If you are enrolled in the Federal Employee Group Life Insurance Program and have designated your spouse as the one to whom you wanted to receive your policy proceeds in the event of death, you may want to change this now that you do not. are more married. To do this, you will need to complete a standard 2823 form. You can download a copy from

If you are a current employee, you were required by law to pay a survivor pension to your spouse. The same applies if you were married before you retired (unless your spouse has agreed in writing to waive eligibility). In either case, this requirement to provide a survivor pension ends when your annulment or divorce is final, unless the former spouse obtained part of your pension in the divorce judgment. If your pension has not been allocated, you will need to inform your agency (or OPM if you are a retiree) that you are no longer married. If it has been split, your ex-spouse will need to properly file the documents with the OPM to preserve their rights.

Report: What Happens to Your Federal Benefits in the Event of a Divorce?

Review of your official personal file

Immediate retirement under IRONS

Immediate retirement – CSRS & CSRS Offset

FERS Retirement Guide 2021


Leave A Reply